Hoarding and Squalor
Supporting you to maintain a safe and comfortable home environment.
Do you have a tendency to accumulate excessive items or find it difficult to part with them? We will be running Buried in Treasures, an online support group that provides strategies and techniques for decluttering and reducing acquiring. Click here to find out more.
Catholic Healthcare’s hoarding and squalor program aims to support people who have hoarding tendencies, or may live in domestic squalor.
We provide support to people over 65 living at home and people over 50 who are at risk of homelessness.
We can support you when:
- You, your friends, or your family, are concerned about your living conditions, but you feel overwhelmed and unsure of where to access support
- There is an accumulation of items at your property, making access difficult
- Your living conditions are placing you or others at risk (e.g. health, fire or eviction)
- You are at risk of becoming homeless.
Benefits of our services
- One-on-one assistance to support you to maintain a safe living environment
- Improved home safety by reducing falls and fire risk
- Support to help you make decisions around disposal and rubbish removal
- Support to assist you in clearing out clutter
- Improved hygiene and increased ease of cleaning.
How to access our services
We can assist you to access this program through My Aged Care. My Aged Care will link your Commonwealth Home Support program referrals to our hoarding and squalor program.
How are our services funded?
This program is funded by the Department of Health to support people who are unable to access mainstream services due to their current living environment.
The hoarding and squalor program can also be accessed through our private services, which may be used by people who are waiting for government funding, or are already receiving another funded service and would like to purchase extra support. Our care advisor can make an appointment to discuss your individual needs and work with you to choose and arrange the services best suited to you.