*Terms and conditions apply. Prices are indicative only.
This Calculator does not include the Basic Daily Fee (your contribution towards care, meals and services). This is the standard charge for every resident in aged care in Australia and is calculated at approximately 85% of the single person Centrelink pension payment. The current standard rate for all residents new to aged care is $58.98 per day (updated twice per annum).
This Calculator does not include the Means Tested Care Fee. This is set by the Australian Government and will depend on your income, assets and the level of care you need. The Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP) is non-refundable. Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) is fully refundable. The Maximum Permissible Interest Rate (MPIR) is set by the Australian Government (currently 8.15%) and is built into the Calculator.
This calculator does not include the Dove Plus Fee. This service is only available at some homes and additional fees apply.
Understanding the cost of Residential Aged Care
Understanding the cost of Residential Aged Care can be confusing and that’s why we’ve put together some simple resources on this page to help you.
It is important that you fully understand the different fees and charges you may need to pay, before signing up to any Residential Aged Care services, as illustrated below.
1. Basic Daily Care Fee
This fee covers clinical care, meals, laundry and basic services and is a standard charge for every resident in aged care set by the Australian Government. This is based on approximately 85% of your single Centrelink pension and the current rate is $58.98 per day.
2. Means-Tested Fee
This is a contribution towards the cost of your care and only applies if your income or assets exceed the maximum threshold set by the Government.
Means-Tested Fee Caps
The maximum amount you will be asked to pay is capped. The Annual Cap is the maximum amount of means-tested fee you will be asked to pay in a year and this is currently set at $31,706.83 per annum*. Meanwhile, the Lifetime Cap is the maximum of means-tested fee you will be required to pay in your lifetime and this is currently set at $76,096.50*.
Moving from Home Care Services to Residential Aged Care?
Please note: If you have previously received Home Care Services using a Home Care Package (HCP) Government subsidy and are now moving into a Residential Aged Care Home, any income-tested fees paid with your HCP will be counted towards your aged care home means-tested fee annual and lifetime caps.
3. Accommodation Payment
This applies to all residents determined as non-supported by the Government. The amount is based on the type of Home chosen, its features and facilities as well as the payment option adopted.
Please note: some of our Catholic Healthcare Homes offer optional extras and upgrades (known as Dove Plus) which are charged in addition to the standard accommodation fees.
- Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) - Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) - A lump-sum payment option if you are required to pay for your accommodation in full. This is refunded when the resident leaves the aged care home.
- Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP) - A recurring rental type payment option to be paid in increments if you are required to pay for your accommodation in full. It is calculated using the Maximum Permissible Interest Rate (MPIR) set by the Australian Government and is reviewed four times a year.
- Combination Payment - A payment option consisting of a part RAD payment supplemented with a Daily Accommodation Payment.
- Drawdown Payment - A payment option that may be available to you, whereby the DAP payment is deducted from your lump-sum RAD payment. If considering this option, we recommend that you seek independent financial advice. Contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 225 474 to find out more.
Example: An example of a Combination Payment for a $410,000 price may be a RAD of $205,000 and DAP of the remaining $205,000: e.g. $205,000 x 8.15% ÷ 365 = $45.77 per day.
* Maximum Permissible Interest Rate (MPIR)
Dove Plus - premium service
Our Dove Plus service goes above and beyond the already high level of accommodation that you can expect. You can enjoy entertainment, weekly happy hour and greater menu choices. This service is only available at some Catholic Healthcare Homes and the service offering at each Home may vary and additional fees apply.
True to our Mission, Catholic Healthcare is proud to provide care and accommodation to those who may need financial support. Speak to a member of our Customer Relations Team on 1800 225 474 to find out how we can offer assistance.
Our fee calculator will assist you in calculating the fees and charges of Residential Care.