It was wonderful to see Catholic Healthcare’s Susan Oliver, Manager of Infection Prevention and Control and llma Rahmathullah, Business Solution Analyst recognised in Med Tech Outlook’s Wound Care Edition 2023 for their innovative work in wound care, telehealth and outbreak management using HoloLens 2.
HoloLens 2 is a self-contained Windows 10 computer designed to be worn on the head with multiple cameras and eye tracking to create a virtual digital experience.
‘Our passion to improve how we provide care for our residents and drive operational efficiencies for our employees led to the identification of HoloLens 2 as a preferred solution for timely access to medical services in response to COVID-19 and other infectious outbreaks,’ said Susan Oliver.
‘HoloLens has demonstrated superior quality and is a pioneer for innovation within Australian Aged Care. The sound and video quality are far beyond using a mobile phone that will often have poor reception. The walk-through and review process for outbreak management setup was quick, efficient, and user-friendly.’ Susan Oliver
Unique Benefits of HoloLens 2
- HoloLens 2 is an untethered computer headpiece.
- HoloLens 2 has multiple cameras and precise eye tracking.
- IT and Practice and Quality together identified telehealth solutions. These included:
- Aged Care Quality Standard requirements, including resident involvement in the consult.
- Co-designing with GPs and medical professionals regarding changes in residents’ health conditions to trigger a telehealth consult.
- Employee education and engagement to ensure employees know how to use the technology.
- Participating in webinars hosted by primary health networks to advocate the benefits of using HoloLens 2 for telehealth to other aged care providers.
‘Technology is a key enabler of Catholic Healthcare’s Strategy, and innovation is critical to enhancing operational efficiency and quality care of residents and clients,’ said Brett Reedman, Chief Information Officer.
The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in many residential aged care homes, including Catholic Healthcare homes, experiencing infectious outbreaks, requiring intricate risk assessments and processes to manage outbreaks.
‘HoloLens 2 allowed me to virtually support onsite teams in multiple rural and metro homes which I wouldn’t have been able to do physically,’ said Susan.
Dean Saxby, Senior Manager of Business Optimisation, Residential Aged Care Management, said ‘We are excited to bring this technology to our frontline care teams to ensure we can deliver consistent, continuity of care regardless of location’.
For more information on the rollout of HoloLens 2 across all residential care homes, please email email@example.com.