Buried in Treasures Support Groups
05 Aug 2020
Do you or someone you know have a tendency to accumulate excessive items, or find it difficult to part with them?
Buried in Treasures is a FREE 15-week group program, providing in-depth training and support for people with clutter and hoarding tendencies.
Facilitated by qualified case managers, you will learn practical skills to overcome clutter in a small group setting of up to 12 who share similar experiences.
The program is based on the successful self-help book Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding, written by Dr Randy Frost, Dr David Tolin, and Dr Gail Steketee who are among the world’s leading experts in the study and treatment of hoarding disorder.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, the Buried in Treasures support groups will be held online.
WHAT YOU WILL GET OUT OF THE PROGRAM:
- Understanding hoarding and why people collect
- Motivation and confidence to get started with organising clutter
- The practical skills and strategies for deciding which items to save, and resisting the temptation to collect more
- Meet others who truly understand your experience in a supportive and respectful environment
- Help overcoming feelings of anxiety and/or depression
- Plus you’ll receive a free copy of the Buried in Treasures book
The program includes optional one-on-one home visits to help you implement the skills that you learn in the group session. Plus, as a holistic aged care provider we can provide specialised government-funded support to help you continue to reach your goals after the program has finished.
9.30am – 11:30am weekly, for 15 weeks
- Mondays, starting 7th September 2020 (Bathurst)
- Tuesdays, starting 8th September 2020 (Dubbo)
- Wednesdays, starting 9th September 2020 (Inner West Sydney)
- Thursdays, starting 10th September 2020 (Newcastle)
- Fridays, starting 11th September 2020 (South East Sydney)
We recommend that you register for your local program. However, you can select an alternate day in a different region if required. Note that you will be allocated to the same day for the full 15 week program.
If you are aged 50+ and have a tendency to accumulate excessive items, or find it difficult to part with them, then this program is for you.
- You do not need to be formally assessed as having hoarding disorder in order to attend
- You need to live in Australia and be eligible for the government's Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP). Our staff will assist you with registering for CHSP, if you haven’t done so already
$0. Buried in Treasures is government-funded under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP). If you need help registering for CHSP, register for the program and our staff will assist you.
* Home visits are subject to availability of services in your area