Frequently Asked Questions

Your questions answered about retirement living.

What is retirement living? 

Retirement living is designed for independent over 55’s looking to make the most of their retirement lifestyle. Residents at our Villages enjoy the added security, range of facilities and sense of community that enrich their day to day life.

Am I ready for retirement living? 

There are many reasons to choose retirement living. Downsizing to a smaller home, where the everyday maintenance is taken care of, is a common reason why people move. Ultimately, they want to spend more time enjoying the things that matter most.
Only you can decide when the time is right to move, but don’t wait too long; the most frequent remark we hear from residents is, “I wish I moved years ago!”

How do I choose a Village that's right for me? 

Make an appointment to meet with the Village Manager and have them show you around. Their attitude and rapport with residents will give you a good indication of life at the Village. You might also ask to attend upcoming social events so that you can meet the other residents and get a feel for whether it is the right fit for you.

What is the social life like?

Whether it’s an active social life, or the quiet comforts of home, how you enjoy your retirement is up to you. Regular outings and events are organised by the residents and/or Village Manager and, should you wish to participate, are a great opportunity to form friendships and explore new leisure activities. Community areas are the hub of Village life and offer a space to relax and spend time with visitors. These areas are unique to each of our Villages, but may include a BBQ area, community room, library or shared gardens. 

Can my family and friends stay over?

Of course, friends and family are always welcome to visit and stay over at your home. If visiting overnight or for a short period of time, we just ask that you notify the Village Manager.

Are pets welcome?

Pets are allowed at some of our Villages. If a pet will be accompanying you when you move, please make enquiries about this early in your discussions with the Village Manager.

What support is available?

Your health and wellbeing is our priority. The Village Manager is responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment for all to enjoy. Should you need assistance, or have any concerns, our Village Manager is here to help.

If your every-day tasks are getting a little harder to manage, or you simply want your household chores taken care of, you might consider in-home services. You can secure support through Catholic Healthcare Home Care services, or with an independent provider if preferred.

Some of our Villages are also co-located with a residential aged care home, allowing a comfortable transition from life in retirement to residential aged care, should you need it. We are here to support you with finding a home that suits you as your needs change.

Can I make changes to my home?

There are certain changes you can and can’t make to your home. If you wish to make physical alterations that impact on the building structure, appearance or utilities, you’ll need to seek approval from the Village Manager.

Will I own my unit?

Catholic Healthcare retains ownership of the unit, but your purchase gives you the right to reside within the unit for as long as you need it. This is known as a loan licence contract. It gives you greater flexibility when you decide to move out, as you don’t have to worry about selling your home.

What happens if I move in, and decide that the Village isn’t right for me?

If you move in, and decide that the Village isn’t for you, there is a settling in period of 90 days within which you may decide to leave the Village. In this instance, you will be refunded the ingoing contribution and all recurrent charges that have been paid. The departure fee (DMF) is also not applied. Note, however, that you will be charged a fair market rent for the period that you lived in the unit.

What happens when I move out of my unit?

You will have to pay a departure fee when you leave the Village. This fee is otherwise known as a Deferred Management Fee (DMF). It will be deducted from your ingoing contribution, which will be refunded within six months, or earlier if a new resident enters the unit.

What are my rights as a resident in your Village?

The Retirement Villages Act and Regulations sets clear standards for the operation of retirement villages and seeks to put in place strong protection for residents.

A copy of the retirement village legislation is available on the Fair Trading website.

Why choose Catholic Healthcare?

We are a not-for-profit organisation, and our values are at the very heart of all that we do. Our compassionate staff take every care to create a vibrant and welcoming Village environment, so that you can make the most of your retirement days.
We also understand that your needs may change. As a provider of home care services, as well as residential aged care, we are with you all the way.

More information

For more information about any of our services, please call us on 1800 225 474  or  enquire now.

For more information